Sangria HAS to be our second favorite "officially" unofficial drink of summer! It's light, fruity, and goes well with dinner, swimming pools, and our just chilling on the porch. We gave it the grilled treatment so it had a unique, smoky flavor.
Grilled Spanish Sangria
- 1 bottle of red wine (a medium bodied red wine like Garnacha, Merlot or Tempranillo)
- 1 bottle soda water or champagne to top off
- ¼ – ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups stemmed seedless red grapes
- 2 oranges, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch wheels
- 2 lemons, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch wheels
- lime wheels for garnish
Heat Grill to high. In a grill basket, add grapes. Cook until they begin to burst, tossing occasionally, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cool completely.
While grapes cool, dip cut half of oranges and lemon into sugar, and grill, turning once, until lightly charred, about 6 minutes.
In a large pitcher, combine wine and sugar, stir to combine. Add fruit, and top with soda water or champagne. Add more sugar to taste, or less as desired.
Get all of your grilling and breakfast necessities at Food City!